Transportation TIP List: Week of September 18th, 2016
With the NFL season off to an official start, we’ve been thinking about how many transportation and supply chain technology advancements are out there to tackle. Here’s to hoping we see some big gains in ELD adoption, 3D printing, the Internet of Things and other trending topics on our TIP List this week. Check out the blitz of stories below!
- Survey: Small Carriers More Wary of ELD Mandate: A survey conducted by Transplace has revealed that 38% of small carriers had no immediate plans to implement electronic logging devices ahead of the mandated deadline.
- Hanjin Says U.S.-bound Ship is Being Held ‘Hostage’: Hanjin Shipping Co Ltd., the failed South Korean container carrier, says a U.S.-bound vessel was held “hostage” by disputes over payments, adding to the struggles in getting $14 billion of cargo off its ships stranded at sea.
- Five Tips for Managing Your Logistics More Effectively: The more steps in your logistics plan, the more efficient your entire process needs to be. If several different materials need to be supplied to a certain location at different times, your supply chain not only needs to be efficient, but also able to quickly respond to problems as they arise.
- Is 3D Printing a Disruptive technology for packaging machinery replacement parts?: Parts are parts…but what happens when those parts are 3D printed for use on packaging machinery? Suffice to say that vendors and brand owners will be affected in different ways.
- How Pokemon-like Technology Could Capture Supply Chains: One day in the not too distant future, truck driver Jane Doe could arrive at a multi-facility logistics park for a pickup, and a tablet mounted on her dashboard will show a three-dimensional map of the facility.
- The Internet of Things, Machine Learning and In-Transit Visibility Revolutionizing Supply Chain: Traditional brick-and-mortar retailers face rising competition from online sellers like Amazon and Staples, and their challenges include omnichannel operations, supply chain costs, inventory visibility and customer acquisition.
- Capacity Crisis, Rate Boom Likely in the Coming Year: The regulatory swath barreling toward the trucking industry — highlighted by ELDs and greenhouse gas emissions standards —could push the trucking industry into a full-fledged capacity crisis as soon as late next year.
What top technology trends are on your radar this week?