Transportation TIP List: Week of September 11th, 2016
In honor of National Truck Driver Appreciation week, we’re saluting trucking heroes here on Logistically Speaking. These drivers excel at one of our nation’s most important and demanding jobs, and they definitely deserve our appreciation! In this week’s TIP List, we’ve highlighted some of the top trucking trends that take an in-depth look at what it means to be a trucking hero. Read on for more!
- ATA Leads National Truck Driver Appreciation Week Sept. 11-17: “Truck drivers are safe, dedicated individuals who help provide our daily goods and I hope the public celebrates and thanks all 3.5 million of them during National Truck Driver Appreciation Week,” said ATA President and CEO Chris Spear.
- Melton driver named Highway Angel for Rescuing Fellow Trucker from Floodwaters: The Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) named driver Daniel Sieczkarski, of Rochester, New York, a Highway Angel for rescuing a fellow trucker from rising floodwaters outside of Houston, Texas.
- US Trucking Firms Hiring Workers at a Faster Pace: US trucking companies kept their hiring engines firing in August, adding 3,400 jobs – which is a sign US motor carriers are preparing for a busier fall shipping season.
- Nearly 92, Woman Fulfills Dream to Drive Big Rig: The rumble of the diesel dynamo, the scream and hiss of the air brakes and 18 wheels rolling along the pavement: “It was exciting!” exclaimed Louise Spencer, 91, who lives in St. Anthony, Minnesota.
- CDL or Bust: Students Train to Become Truckers: In an era of a persistent driver shortage, Transport Topics decided to take a look at a small slice of the segment of men and women who will be driving America’s trucks in the years to come by following a driver training school class.
- 13 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Became a Long-Haul Truck Driver: Driving trucks is more like a lifestyle choice than a regular job. You stay out, driving shipments back and forth and then you get a couple days off back home.
- Truckers Taking the Wheel in Combating Human Trafficking: Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton recently announced a collaboration trying to combat a huge issue. Truckers Against Trafficking is hoping to ensure victims will be identified and rescued when they’re at truck stops.
What are some of your favorite stories of truck drivers on the road?
Be sure to stay tuned here on the blog and on our social media channels for more special National Truck Driver Appreciation Week activities!