Transportation TIP List: Week of November 5th, 2017
This past Sunday, we turned back the clocks and gained an hour of both sunlight and sleep as daylight saving time ended – and that extra hour of sunlight provides the perfect opportunity to check out some timely industry news. From automation and artificial intelligence impacting the retail landscape to the benefits of blockchain in transportation – take a few minutes and check out the full TIP List below!
- The Evolution of Retail: The Effect of Automation and AI: Most retailers can no longer survive using their current business models. The tactics that worked for them in the past such as promotions and discounts are no longer drawing people into stores now that people can use one-stop-shop services like Amazon Prime.
- Blockchain Viewed as a Protective Measure for Trucking: Some benefits of blockchain technology for trucking include faster freight payments, more contract transparency, fewer “middlemen” in the process and improved security, according to Craig Fuller, CEO of TransRisk.
- 2017 Holiday Planning Guide: Now that Halloween is behind us, the time has come to focus on bigger things such as the 2017 holiday season. As the industry braces for the busiest time of the year, the NRF projects a 3.6% to 4% increase in holiday sales for 2017 over the same period in 2016.
- Manufacturers Take to Technology, Automation: Driven by globalization, intensifying competition, and rising customer demand for more options and higher quality products, a connected plant floor has become a necessity. As a result, manufacturers are adopting the Industrial IoT to enhance visibility and improve quality.
- U.S. Imports, Truck Rates Propel Intermodal Rail Volume, Pricing: Total intermodal rail volume jumped 6.3% year over year in the third quarter, driven by an 8.2% increase in international volume and a 3.8% expansion in domestic intermodal freight, according to the Intermodal Association of North America.
What timely supply chain trends are you following this week?