Happy Halloween – The Sweetest Supply Chain Moments (So Far)!
For many children, one of the most exciting parts of Halloween is dressing up and trick-or-treating to collect as much candy as possible. And there’s certainly no doubt that the holiday is a delightful time for kids – but have you ever thought about its substantial impact on U.S. retailers, manufactures and supply chains?
This year, the National Retail Federation predicts Halloween spending to exceed $9 billion – and with more than 175 million people planning on celebrating the October 31st holiday, that means each person spends around $87! That’s certainly a lot of costumes, greeting cards, decorations and other supplies that need to be shipped for Halloween.
With candy and the Halloween celebration top-of-mind, we wanted to share some of the sweetest supply chain moments, trends and news that have happened so far in 2018. Unwrap some of these top blog posts below!
- 2018 Capacity Series: Intermodal Market Challenges & Costs: In early March, Kelly St. Aubin carved out this guest blog that explained how market conditions (such as the ELD mandate) are having a direct impact on tightening capacity and higher rates. St. Aubin shared ways that shippers can keep costs down, which includes looking at cheaper days of the week to ship, benchmarking organizational data against the market and leveraging rail and intermodal as alternative transportation modes.
- 2018 Capacity Series: Combating the Capacity Crunch for Mexico’s Cross Border Shipments: Carlos Godinez hit a sweet spot with readers in this guest blog post that examined how shippers can combat the capacity challenges occurring within cross-border transportation. Strategies that shippers can utilize include identifying alternate modes of transportation, improving “preferred shipper” status and diversifying entry points for northbound and southbound shipments across the Mexican-U.S. border.
- The Transplace Think Tank Puts Data to Work: Carrier Conversations & Shipper Solutions: Don’t be frightened by a data overload! The Transplace Think Tank has been working throughout the year to identify new ways to use corporate intelligence and put actionable data to work. In this post, they share how dashboards created by the team are giving customers a network-wide view of tender acceptance performance and their ultimate financial impacts.
- Software-as-a-Service or Outsourced Managed Services: Which is Right for Your Organization?: When it comes to managing transportation operations, shippers are often at a crossroads. They may find themselves asking the questions: Should I implement a transportation management system (TMS) in-house or via software-as-a-service (SaaS)? Chuck Papa uncovers factors that organizations need to consider to determine which solution is right for them.
- International Shipping in the Current Time of Tariffs: In late July, Mollie Bailey shared insight into new international tariffs that came into effect. Check out this guest blog post to unpack potential challenges international shippers are facing, and read this follow up post that addresses additional tariffs that are expected to come into effect starting on January 1st, 2019.
What’s been your sweetest supply chain memory so far in 2018? Let us know in the comment section below – and from everyone at Transplace, Happy Halloween!